Category Archives: Land Use

What You Can Do About Issues in Your Neighborhood

BendBugWe live in a vibrant, beautiful neighborhood. It’s centrally located and full of amenities that people from throughout our community come to enjoy. This can sometimes cause frustrations for the people who live here. Here are some common questions and issues that have come up, and some answers and information you can use.

With all the people visiting our neighborhood, there’s a lot of traffic. What’s the most effective way to address this?

The City of Bend has a Transportation Safety Advisory Committee that prioritizes, recommends and coordinates traffic safety programs. The committee meets quarterly and is made up of volunteer citizens and city staff. For more information, or to get involved, visit

Slower, Safer, Bend is a grass roots organization dedicated to building a safer, more livable community by focusing on neighborhood street safety. You can find more information on the group and their initiatives at

A business or residence is having a loud party or event. Who do I call to report this?

You can call the Police non-emergency phone number, 541-693-6911. Keep in mind that calls are handled by the Bend Police Department in order or priority. Depending on the volume of calls, noise complaints may not be the highest priority when you call. For more information on what violates the city’s Noise Ordinance, visit, and search for Chapter 5.50 – Noise.

There is a car parked in front of my driveway or illegally parked in my neighborhood. Who do I call to report this?

You can also call the non-emergency phone number, 541-693-6911, for this issue. Just like with noise complaints, calls are handled by the Bend Police Department in order or priority.

There are a lot of establishments serving alcohol in our neighborhood. Can the City stop any more from opening up?

Liquor licenses are issued by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC). State law authorizes OLCC to require applicants to obtain a Local Governing Bodies’ (like the City of Bend) recommendation before the issuances of an initial license or renewal of an annual license. However, the OLCC does not govern the Local Governing Bodies’ process. Applicants are required to provide notice to the City when applying for a license from OLCC. The City has 45 days to make a recommendation on a new application, and 60 days on a renewal. OLCC may consider the City’s recommendation, but is not bound by it.

For more information about the application process and approval/denial criteria, visit

Isn’t there a limit to the amount of businesses that can serve alcohol in a certain area?

No, state law does not prohibit the number of liquor licenses that can be issued in a certain area. For more information on Oregon Liquor Laws and the OLCC, visit

I think a business in my neighborhood is over-serving alcohol to its patrons. What can I do?

Most businesses that sell alcohol obey the liquor laws and want to be good neighbors. However, sometimes problems do occur. Public safety is the OLCC’s first priority. If you have information on a business that is not obeying liquor laws, the OLCC wants to know.

If you have a complaint about a business in Bend that sells alcohol, call 541-388- 6292. The OLCC can enforce the liquor laws best when people with a complaint identify themselves and are willing to provide contact information for follow up questions. The OLCC will also take complaints from people who want to remain anonymous. For more information, visit

Many of these issues are complicated and have long-term implications for my neighborhood. What is the city doing to plan for the future and how can I get involved?

There are a number of ways you help shape changes to your neighborhood. Here are some current city projects were you can get involved and stay informed:

Land Use and Transportation Plan for the Central Westside of Bend – In response to OSU-Cascades’ plans for a site on Chandler Avenue, as well as many other proposed activities in the central westside area of Bend, the City sought and was awarded a state grant, called a Transportation Growth Management (TGM) grant, to create a transportation and land use future for the area. An extensive public involvement process will help develop a land use and transportation scenario that allows public and private land to develop in a way that supports the character of the project area and is financially feasible. For more information, visit and click on Westside Bend TGM process in the menu.

Galveston Corridor Project – This project is a collective effort of business owners, property owners and neighboring residences to enhance economic vitality, improve pedestrian and bicycle safety and effectively manage storm water along the Galveston corridor. The goal is to develop a comprehensive improvement plan for the Galveston corridor that addresses traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, business uses, residential uses, storm water quality and management, and landscaping enhancement. For more information, visit

Vacation Rental Discussion – The impact of Vacation Rentals is an important topic for our City. The Bend City Council has responded to a call from neighborhoods to consider issues surrounding vacation rentals, a popular and growing option for visitors in Bend. The City is working to balance neighborhood livability with private property rights and our tourism economy. For more information, visit

Parking Study – The City will be issuing a Request for Proposal for Parking Management Planning for several areas of the community during the early spring of 2015. Two of the areas that will be included are the Galveston Avenue and 14th Street commercial corridors. The scope of work for the project includes data collection, area resident and business surveys and public input via community meetings. The outcome of this effort will be to provide a report to City Council that details options to best manage parking needs in each area. It is anticipated that these two areas of study will dovetail with the TGM grant that the City has received that will evaluate overall transportation needs and potential solutions to transportation issues on the west side of Bend.

Source: City of Bend- FAQs Livability issues

Letter to Bend Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee


February 22, 2013

Bend Pedestrian and Bicycle Advisory Committee

Re: Riverside/Franklin Pedestrian/Bicycle Project

Dear Committee Members:

A consensus of the board members and residents attending a meeting of the Old Bend Neighborhood Association (OBNA) on February 20 at the Deschutes Public Library supported the concept of buffered bike lanes on Riverside Blvd. and sharrows along Franklin Blvd as proposed in the Riverside to Franklin Bike/Pedestrian Project. However, many in attendance voiced concerns about safety issues associated with the conversion of the intersection at Tumalo and Riverside from a four-way stop to a thruway flow.

OBNA supports efforts to improve both pedestrian and bike routes throughout the city. Our basic concern with the removal of stop signs at the Riverside/Tumalo intersection is that both bicyclists and pedestrians will find themselves in greater danger as they negotiate one of the busiest intersections in the city. In addition, this intersection will become even more critical as the Deschutes River Trail between the popular Drake Park and the newly developed Miller’s Landing to the south is completed.

Our recommendation is to proceed with the Riverside/Franklin development as outlined in the current design while maintaining the four-way stop at the Riverside/Tumalo intersection.

Old Bend Neighborhood Board
Jan Gifford, Chair

Cc: Robin Lewis, City of Bend